Linux is one of the operating system (OS) that is commonly used computer / laptop. not just the computer / laptop in general only, but Linux is also used by many companies. Linux is made by a student at Helsinki University Filandia named Linus Benedict Torvalds. Linux name itself is taken from the author’s first name. On October 5, 1991, Linus announced at a Newgroup that he has succeeded in creating an Operating System (OS) like a very simple UNIX-named Linux, which developed the Unix-like operating system. Linux are using by many company too.
Open Source is typical of Linux even though Linux itself is not the only but Linux is the best example. The Linux kernel itself is open and free. So Linux is free to be developed. The uniqueness of Linux itself, if we develop our own version of Linux then we must open Linux Kernel. When we closed the Linux kernel from which we develop, we will get the sanctions.
Do not Know it is not love. That is why linux losing in terms of popularity compared with other Operating Systems (especially Windows).
For the friends who are interested in using linux, I will provide several advantages linux that I know.
In addition to an operating system that can be obtained free of charge every person, linux also has many advantages, among others:
- Open Source, Linux provides an opportunity for users to view the original program, or change it according to the needs of the property right without incurring penalties under the GNU license.
- Freeware, almost all software used for free without paying for pengunanya thus saving costs.
- Minimal Hardware, Linux only requires at least Intel 386 DX processor, with a minimum of 8 MB RAM and 85 MB minimum hard disk capacity.
- Stability is good, for example in an office environment, Linux is commonly used as a server. If you are configured properly for the hardware, typically running Linux without needing to reboot (restart on) until there is no hardware or electrical voltage was intentionally disabled. Age of sustainable living
systems to hundreds of days or more a thing that was unusual.
- Shared Libraries, Shared Libraries Linux uses making it possible to install the new version of Linux without damaging the linkage of other programs. While Windows applications install a new application from the DLL (Dynamics Link Libraries) that affect other programs.
- Non-Fragmentation, without defrag in windows that allow an easier way for users to create, edit, and delete files without the fear of fragmentation occurs on existing data or programs. This is because Linux uses the Ext2FS file system (Second Extended File System) which has the advantage of reduction of fragmentation automatically.
- Immune Virus, still very few viruses that have been created. Possible virus infection, is very small.
- Hadware AotoDetect, so for the friends laptop or pc driver lost sources. No need to bother anymore to download the driver software.
- Linux is also an open operating system, so that the resulting sense of togetherness that makes linux belongs to everyone, not just the manufacturer’s or developer.
- Multi-User, Linux can be used by one or more people to use the same or different programs within a same machine at the same time, in the same or different terminals.
- Login user, Linux has a user login or service that is not limited in amount to allow the user up to 254 clients simultaneously, and comes with a password.
- Emulator, Linux provides the emulator to run applications designed for different operating systems, for example: dosemu (DOS emulator), to run DOS applications – WINE (Windows Emulator), to run 16-bit Windows applications and some 32-bit Windows applications – Executor, to run Macintosh applications – IBCS, to run the executable file FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, SCO UNIX, etc. – By using VMware, Linux can run Windows and Windows NT.
Consists of a variety of Linux distributions and of course the use of different needs. Linux distribution consists of nearly 100 kinds of famous one distro: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, RedHat, etc..
To learn Linux can not just study. We should love Linux itself. Many things which we can obtain from this Linux. What are you waiting, join us. Being one of the linux users.